Bethel Grace Abbey Mission

This is the online outreach for Bethel Grace Abbey Mission. May our efforts to serve the hurting and homeless souls of Southern California reach to the level He has set for us. May His Glory shine through the darkness and be evident in all we do at Bethel Grace Abbey. These are only our humble beginnings, but through His love, we can move mountains. Thank you for joining us on our mission. May your life be as blessed as mine has become.
In His Loving Grace,
Jennifer Joy

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Dental Emergencies

Okay, so this morning I woke up with a killer toothache.

It is a doozy, but it’s not like I didn’t feel it coming on.

I’ve had increased sensitivity in my lower left molars for a few weeks. I’ve also had a lymph node or gland or whatever swollen up on the left side of my throat for at least that long, but I was ignoring it, hoping it was just left over from the cold I had at the end of last month.

This morning I woke up with a killer headache and my lower jaw was hurting so bad, I could barely eat breakfast. In fact, I left some of my food on my plate because it was too painful to eat any more. Breakfast was not enjoyable, not in the least sense of the word.

So, here I sit with a bad toothache. I brushed twice with Sensodyne (once before eating and again after). I flossed. I even chewed two aspirin, hoping for instant relief. By the way, I would not recommend chewing aspirin to just anybody. You have to know your tolerance level, as aspirin can be very corroding to the mouth and digestive system. That’s why they now put enteric coating on most aspirin. But I’ve been chewing aspirin since I was a kid. Chewing aspirin and then downing a strong cup of coffee can seriously help a migraine.

This time, however, the aspirin did not do the trick for my tooth pain. My next plan of homeopathic attack is the heating pad. So, here I sit, looking like I have the mumps, with a thin kitchen towel tied round my head, holding the heating pad in place. Using heat on my tooth and ear troubles has also been a lifelong habit. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I refused to take medications unless it was absolutely necessary. Often, I chose to use hot compresses, and oftentimes I just suffered through, for fear of what the drugs might do to my unborn child.

The heat is helping. I’m feeling much better right now, but still far from okay. The pain may have subsided, but I still have the reason for the pain to deal with.

Hence, today’s list of affordable, free, and/or sliding-scale dental clinics found in Southern California.

 

Community Health systems, Inc.

951-571-2300

22675 Alessandro Blvd.

Moreno Valley, CA 92553

Provides preventive and restorative dental care for adults and children. Services provided at discounted (sliding fee scale) rates for those who qualify based on gross annual income and family size. Accepts many forms of payment (such as Medicare, Medi-Cal, Healthy Kids, Headstart, and many more). Please contact them for details.

Mead Valley Community Complex—Perris

951-657-0686

21091 Rider Street

Perris, CA 92570

This program provides medical and dental services for the community. Please contact them directly for details.

 Inland Behavioral & Health Services, Inc.—San Bernardino

909-881-6146

1963 North E Street

San Bernardino, CA 92405

This center is designed to provide outpatient health services to infants, children, adolescents, and adults. If you are covered by a health plan, bring your membership card. They accept Medi-Cal, Medicate, and most other insurances. If you are not covered by an insurance plan, they offer low cost/no cost programs (based on eligibility) and sliding scale fee. Please call them directly for details.

Eastside Health Center Medical/Dental Clinic

909-276-0661

1970 University Avenue

Riverside, CA 92507

Provides low cost and sliding fee general dentistry, cleanings, fillings, extractions, and fluoride sealants. Please call them directly for details.

Fallbrook Family Health Center—Dental Clinic

760-451-4730

1328 South Mission Road

Fallbrook, CA 92028

Provides low cost and sliding fee general dentistry, cleanings, fillings, extractions, and fluoride sealants. Please call them directly for details.

This short list should at least give you somewhere to start, in the search for affordable dental care. Our teeth and mouths are very important to our overall health, and as such, our oral care should not be ignored or overlooked due to an inability to pay. Many of us have enough to fear, when it comes to dentists, without adding the fear of insurmountable dental bills to the mix.

I found these sources through a quick search of the following national directory of free dental clinics, Free Dental Care. Just keep in mind that not all clinics are created equal, and not all are free. If you don’t find what you need on my list, by all means, go directly to their website. You will hopefully be able to find something close to your own home. Plus it is a national website, so even those who do not live in Southern California can use this free resource to find affordable dental care.

Other resources to find affordable medical and dental care:

  • Word of mouth. Ask your friends and neighbors.
  • Contact your church, or if you don’t have a church, look one up. Churches are always willing to help those in need (if they are worth their weight and follow the true teachings of Jesus, anyway).
  • Contact your county health department.
  • Call 211, which is a national clearinghouse of information relating to health and human services.
  • If all else fails, conduct your own internet search.

My prayer for you today is that you realize that your worth, your value as a human being, is not tied to your wallet. Our ability to earn a living is only one small aspect of our character. I pray that whatever led to your financial misfortune will not overshadow all your finer qualities.

In His Name,

Jennifer Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment