Bethel Grace Abbey Mission

This is the online outreach for Bethel Grace Abbey Mission. May our efforts to serve the hurting and homeless souls of Southern California reach to the level He has set for us. May His Glory shine through the darkness and be evident in all we do at Bethel Grace Abbey. These are only our humble beginnings, but through His love, we can move mountains. Thank you for joining us on our mission. May your life be as blessed as mine has become.
In His Loving Grace,
Jennifer Joy

Thursday, December 5, 2013

DAY ELEVEN: The Normalization of Sex and Violence in Our Families

16_days_logo_englishToday is day eleven of The 16 Days Campaign. Today is the day we need to consider Raising The Bar.

When I was in my early twenties, I was asked by a coworker, “If you don’t drink, smoke, or do drugs, what do you do for fun?”

“Plenty,” I replied.

It was not a matter of me being a snob or even a devout Christian back then, because I really wasn’t.

It was a matter of choices, however.

I never criticized my friends or coworkers for their choices, their lifestyle, but at the same time, I simply held myself to a higher personal standard. I simply had chosen a different path.

Please do not take anything I say as judgment or criticism. I am only offering a viable solution to a very serious problem in our society. Sex and violence are everywhere in what we watch, listen to, and surf. If we are to change the status quo, we must each make that decision on a personal level. It never works for a society to set standards. For instance, if you tell a three-year-old that she cannot have any cookies, she will want those cookies all the more, and she will try to get them without you knowing. We need to personally make the decision to not allow this glut of sex and violence into our homes and into the lives of our children.

Don’t get me wrong. I like a first-run Hollywood movie just as much as the next person, but I have also been known to walk out of a movie theater, when the language or nudity or violence gets to be too much for me.

Far be it for me to tell anyone else what they can and cannot watch or listen to. As for me, I don’t care if it does have a catchy beat or flashy visuals, I must hold myself to the standards I desire in my life.

All I ask is that you pay attention to the messages that song or video or movie is portraying, and then ask yourself if it lives up to what you want in your life. Is that particular message THE message you want to send your children out into the world with?

My prayer for you today is that evil will not seep into your life, unannounced, through the media available in your home.

In His grace,

Jennifer Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment