Bethel Grace Abbey Mission

This is the online outreach for Bethel Grace Abbey Mission. May our efforts to serve the hurting and homeless souls of Southern California reach to the level He has set for us. May His Glory shine through the darkness and be evident in all we do at Bethel Grace Abbey. These are only our humble beginnings, but through His love, we can move mountains. Thank you for joining us on our mission. May your life be as blessed as mine has become.
In His Loving Grace,
Jennifer Joy

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Becoming Fearless

DSC09441The other day as I was working in the clubhouse at the RV park, a man carrying one of those newer small computers walked in. He was wandering around the room and clicking on his keyboard at the same time.

When he approached me, I stopped working to give him my full attention. I have learned that when a stranger walks into my life, sits down, and starts talking, they usually have something important to tell me. This was not one of those times, however.

“I bet that mirror behind you is a two-way,” the stranger said.

Starting to get unnerved, I instinctively pulled my blouse closer around my neck. It was not that I was indecently exposed or anything, I just had a creepy feeling wash over me.

The stranger said, upon closer examination, “Well, maybe not.”

DSC09399But the damage was already done. Anxiety and paranoia were taking up residence in my being.

He walked away and then returned, still tapping on his computer. He was looking for the resort’s wireless connection, and he could not find it on his list of available wireless network connections; although, he wasn’t even  sure what it was called. I told him that I do not use the resort’s internet because I have my own wifi hotspot, through my phone.

He walked around some more, then approached again. “Maybe it is one of those you have to pay for,” he said.

“Maybe,” I replied, “but even if you do have to pay, you should still be able to see it on your list.” My anxiety was starting to dissipate.

“Are you Jen?” he asked.

DSC09406That creepy feeling returned in full force. “Yes,” I answered, trying to not let my anxiety show. He was picking up my wifi signal.

After he walked away again, I quickly searched my heart for that scripture verse that has gotten me through so much anxiety and fear in the past. Finally it jumped to my mind, calming me before my “old friend” panic came at me full force. Thanks be to God, yet again, for rescuing me, for there is power in The Word.

Memorizing a few key verses here and there have really helped me overcome so much trouble in my life. Though I may not always remember the location, the verses themselves regularly surface to breathe their truth into my life. I often post these verses, which I am trying to commit to heart, on the refrigerator or bathroom mirror. Then I can read them or at least be reminded of their truths every time I pass by.

“The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1

Another gem in times of trouble can be found at the end of Psalm 27. Thus the beginning and the end of this Song of King David offer me hope, and these verses bookend a powerfully beautiful message of faith in troubled times.

“I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of The Lord in the land of the living. Wait for The Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for The Lord.” Psalm 27:13-14

My prayer for you today is that the troubles of this world will not overtake you and that you may find peace in The Word, The Bible.

In His grace,

Jennifer Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment